Getting fit in the gym not only makes you look good, it makes you feel great as well! It can be a new experience—hitting the gym and adjusting to exercising with other people around you, but you will get used to it after a while. While you’re at it, you should remember etiquette practices to make your gym experience smooth sailing and enjoyable. Keep these things in mind:
- Wear proper gym outfits – By proper, I mean a sports bra and your chosen gym shirt, some comfortable and flexible jogging or yoga pants, and gym shoes. These are important because they allow you to move properly and comfortably. However, I would advise you to wear only pieces which make you feel comfortable. There are times when you would get looked at for wearing something really fit or something that shows a lot of skin, so be sure you’re comfortable with the gym clothes you’re wearing.
- Don’t take calls – This can be a bother to other people. You may be thinking they have earphones on and are listening to music, but if you must take a call, do it outside. This also distracts you from your workout, you know?
- Don’t be a hogger – Don’t hog the machine you’re using for more than 20-30 minutes if you already see that there are a lot of people lining up. Say you’ve already had a 15 to 20-minute run on the treadmill, that would be enough, so let other people use it.
- Don’t save spots – If your friend isn’t there yet and you’d like to work out beside each other, you shouldn’t save an empty machine or equipment as a spot. Allow other people to use the machine since your friend isn’t there yet.
- Do ask for help – If you don’t know how to use a machine properly but would like to try it out, ask for help from one of the gym staff. You may get hurt if you don’t use a machine properly, so ask for help.
- Be on time for your group classes – It is highly impolite to come in the middle of a class and disturb the routine. You’ll also be missing out on stuff if you do this.
Remember these tips and enjoy your time while getting fit in the gym!