Did you know you can eat your way to a better complexion? This isn’t a substitute for good skin care or sunscreen, however, there are certain foods that have been reported as good for your skin. Here are just a few of the recommendations.
- Chocolate – I know, my favorite too! Cocoa can hydrate the skin and make it more supple. The darker varieties also contain potent antioxidants. For maximum antioxidant benefits, look for chocolate that is at least 70% cacao. But moderation is still important, about two squares daily are sufficient. The caffeine in chocolate can also prove beneficial when applied topically to reduce puffiness.
- Peppers – Those women who tend to eat more green and yellow vegetables on a regular basis tend to have fewer fine lines and wrinkles especially in the eye area. The antioxidants that are found in yellow and orange vegetables have been known to decrease the skin’s sun sensitivity. So pile them on the next time you make fajitas! Two cups per day is the goal here.
- Soy – Whether you eat it or apply it topically, soy has been shown to reduce hyperpigmentation and even skin tone. There are a number of soy-based skin treatments available, or pop a cup of edamame per day.
- Green tea – Same as with soy, green tea can be beneficial either internally or externally. It has been known to fight inflammation as well as reduce redness.
- Strawberries – Let’s not forget our fruit! Did you know that strawberries have more Vitamin C than oranges? This is a key element for firmer skin. These delicious red berries also contain antioxidants that can help slow memory loss as you age.
A variety of colorful fruits and vegetables is always a safe bet for beautiful skin and better health!