In addition to the sweltering heat and humidity, the summer is chock full of outdoor activities and farmer’s markets. What a combination! When you like diving into a vat of ice cream and eating your way out, consider a few of these healthy treats instead.
- Any number of fresh fruit tarts can liven up an outdoor barbecue. Showcase those fresh blackberries and blueberries with a buttery crust and a lemon filling.
- Sorbet has all of the yumminess of ice cream but much less fat and fewer calories; raspberry is one of my favorites.
- Combine two treats in one and build fruit kabobs drizzled with rich dark chocolate. Pineapple and strawberries work especially well.
- There is something particular refreshing about citrus in the summer. Try a lemon bar topped with chopped strawberries.
- Watermelon is always a hit during the summer months. Make your own watermelon-kiwi fruit pops to chill out.
- Any number of fruit smoothies can be created with all of that summer goodness. Bananas with a dollop of chocolate ice cream is terrific.
- If you are from the south, you are no doubt familiar with the perennial favorite – strawberry shortcake. I prefer mine with angel food cake instead of pound cake to lighten up.
- For something unique, throw your fruit on the grill. You already have it fired up, so let it cook all your food! Peaches and pineapple rings work very well. If you want to go all out, soak your apple slices in water with cinnamon sticks first, then top your vanilla ice cream with those caramelized slices.
- If you’re in the mood for an adult treat, don’t forget to whip up a pitcher of homemade sangria. The combination of red wine, bubbly citrus soda, and sliced fruit it unbeatable.