Going on a high-protein diet is one popular way to lose weight fast. This can or cannot be coupled with exercise, but before you start changing your meal plans to accommodate more protein than carbohydrates, I’ve listed down some pros and cons to help you decide if this is the way you want to lose weight:
- Makes you feel satisfied for a long time. High-protein diets take longer to digest, which means you will feel fuller for a long time. This is helpful when reducing your consumption of food in order to minimize your calorie consumption.
- Kickstarts weight loss. With the feeling of satisfaction that goes with high protein consumption, you can avoid overeating. Moreover, with decreased calorie intake, your body will be using fat reserves to reduce weight. Most of excess water weight will also be eliminated, which will lead to better-looking and less bloated skin. I actually like this one because water weight, especially during hormonal changes, can add on a couple of pounds.
- Reduces blood cholesterol. With a decrease in calorie consumption, the body will produce more hormones that reduce blood cholesterol. If you’re suffering from high blood cholesterol, a high-protein diet can surely benefit you.
- May be high in unhealthy fats. High-protein diets can include nuts, which are filled with unsaturated fat. While these offer benefits, I’d advice everyone to consume these things in moderation.
- Lesser calories to burn may lead to dizziness and irritability. When the body undergoes changes, it will react in different ways. For instance, if you reduce or change the foods that you eat, dizziness and irritability may be experienced. These are also some of the things to watch out for when you switch to a high-protein, low calorie diet. The body doesn’t have a lot of calories to burn, hence the side effects.
- Water weight can easily come back. Water weight is easy to lose with this kind of diet, but trust me, they can come back easily, too. Eat something sinful on your cheat day and you’ll see the water weight that you’ve lost come back.
I’ve tried high-protein diet as well as other diets, and I’ve seen how great it can be when it comes to weight loss. However, what I want people to remember is that this kind of diet is best used as a motivation. See the effects of reduced water weight, and then couple that with healthier food consumption along with good exercise routines. That way you will not be worried when you indulge a bit.