We normally consider salads a spring and summer dish. In the fall and winter, we usually feel more like having a hearty soup or a rich stew. But here are some delicious winter salads to ward off the chill. One of the tricks is to make sure it includes at least one warm to hot element.
- Roasted Mushroom Salad – Roast your favorite mix of mushrooms in olive oil and garlic, and then toss them onto your mixed greens. Top with a warm bacon vinaigrette and crumbled goat cheese for a perfect blend of flavors and textures.
- Spinach Salad – My favorite combination for a spinach salad is fresh baby spinach, dried cranberries, feta or goat cheese, and a raspberry dressing. But toss the whole combination with some freshly cooked shrimp and you have a treat!
- Chicken Caesar – Even this basic can still be delicious. My favorite twist is to make it spicy, with shredded pepper jack cheese, tortilla strips, and bite-sized chicken that I have sautéed in chipotle seasoning. Top it off with a mix of Caesar dressing and taco sauce.
- Roasted Pear Salad – The combination of warm freshly roasted pears, crumbled blue cheese or goat cheese, and mixed greens is amazing. A light rice wine vinegar dressing keeps the mixture from getting too heavy. I also love to add avocado for a boost of protein and creaminess.
- Roasted Vegetable Salad – Take advantage of all those yummy winter vegetables. Roast your broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and butternut squash for a delicious and lively topping to your mix of kale and pomegranate seeds.
If salad just doesn’t fill you up, consider at least making one to accompany that homemade chicken noodle soup. The vegetables will help your body stay healthy through the cold months!