While recently cleaning out my scary large makeup collection, I realized that somehow I had accumulated dozens of makeup brushes! It was absurd since I only have one face and only apply makeup once a day! I have not decided what to do with the ‘overage’ yet, but I have pared down which ones I keep within reach.
Now obviously this list is subjective; if you find contouring a daily activity, you would obviously need the appropriate tools. But here is a quick rundown of the basic makeup brushes and tools that I would say you need in your regular arsenal:
- Concealer brush – If you have the need to apply concealer, more than likely you need to apply it just to a spot or two. Using this tiny little brush will help ensure that you hit the ‘hot spot’ and not the entire area. Dab lightly to blend the concealer into your skin.
- Eyeshadow brush – How many of these you need just depends on how many eyeshadows you apply. I try very hard not to use the same brush in more than one color so that the individual colors do not get muddied on the brush itself.
- Brow and lash comb – Keep those brows tidy and those lashes separated with this dual purpose little tool.
- Lash curler – Always makes your eyes look bigger and brighter when you curl your lashes before applying mascara. If you curl them afterwards, you risk breaking them off which no one wants!
- Sponge – You can use this little gem to blend almost anything. I find it invaluable for foundation as well as cream blushes.
One quick side note, make sure to wash your brushes weekly to keep them from building up with makeup and oils from your skin.