While I’m a self-admitted skincare junkie, I find the popular and trendy 12-step Korean skincare regimens daunting to say the least. First of all, how does one remember which product to use in what order? Second of all, while I enjoy taking care of my skin, I don’t necessarily want to spend an hour each morning or night completing all of the steps. There really are only 5 necessary steps in a basic skin care regimen:
- Cleanser – Choose wisely and make sure that your cleanser can also remove makeup including eye makeup. It’s usually better to avoid cleansers with active ingredients like AHAs, especially if you are using it as an eye makeup remover.
- Exfoliator – This really is an essential step to keeping your skin looking the best it can. Whether you use a weekly scrub or a nightly AHA lotion, make sure to refresh that skin regularly and eliminate all of those dead skin cells.
- Moisturizer – Even the oiliest of skin types in Houston needs moisture, although it obviously needs a different type than a dry complexion in Denver. Whether you choose an oil-free gel or a rich cream, make sure to use it regularly to nourish that nicely exfoliated face.
- Sunscreen – Protect, protect, protect. No matter what skin care products you use or how many steps in your routine, it will not matter if you do not protect your skin with an SPF of at least 15 for daily wear.
- Treatment – A bonus product if you want. It can be a spot treatment for acne or an anti-aging serum. But do apply it before your other products so that you are receiving the maximum benefits.
Of course, this is only a starting point. Add whatever other steps you like!