We all know that you can take yesterday’s dinner leftovers and make it today’s lunch by boxing it up. But sometimes we get tired of eating the same thing over and over. Here are five ways to transform those leftovers into whole new meals with brand-new flavors!
- Do you have some leftover roasted vegetables from last night, such as squash, carrots, onions, sweet potatoes? Once they have cooled, toss them in the blender with chicken stock, some cream, and seasoning of your choice and hit puree. You now have homemade vegetable soup!
- Baked one too many pork chops over the weekend? Slice it thinly, and add it to a French bread roll with a vinegar-based coleslaw and take your sandwich to work. Remember the jalapenos if you like it spicy.
- Extra chicken from the grill? Shred or dice it, whichever you prefer, and create your very own chicken salad. Add mayo, diced celery, diced grapes, and diced apples for a fruity crunch come lunchtime. This salad also works perfectly over a bed of fresh greens.
- Leftover pasta of any kind can be transformed into instant pasta salad. Add some diced vegetables and a dash of olive oil and you are ready to go. This works great with cheese tortellini by the way!
- And don’t forget, there are very few leftovers that cannot be cut up and added to an omelet, a frittata, or a bowl of soup.
You can also mix and match if you have a little bit remaining from several meals. There are no real rules, just suggestions and potential deliciousness! So next time, do not look at those leftovers as left over food, remember that they are ingredients and you can build a whole new meal.