Upgrading your professional wardrobe sounds like a daunting and expensive undertaking, but good news — it does not have to be! Here are five quick tips on how to upgrade and renew your work clothes while you mind your checkbook balance.
- The most important money-saving tip is to do not browse but only go with a list and a budget in mind. Yes, that purple paisley peasant blouse is cute, but is it really what you need to be focusing on?
- Thoroughly scour your existing clothes and identify the missing basics – a black sheath dress, a colorful cardigan, a statement necklace.
- Time to take that list to the store! Just remember, before you buy anything, try to think of at least three outfits from your closet that will benefit from the new item.
- One of the most obvious ways to save money is to mainly shop the sale racks and discount stores as well as browse online for printable coupons.
- Try to stay away from super-hot trends, and stick with basics. Admittedly, you will never be the height of fashion by sticking to this, but you will always look classically stylish. If you come across a trend you have to try such as animal print, consider a belt or scarf to add to existing outfits instead of the entire skirt. That way, when the trend fades, you are not stuck with items you will rarely wear again.
If you are serious about saving money you should check out this post about saving money, they have some pretty decent advice.
A quick bonus tip — One additional way to save money (and time) is to minimize the amount of clothing you own that requires dry cleaning. I pay close attention to the care label and try very hard to stick to the items that I can launder at home.