If you do not already have one that you love, it can be almost as hard to pick a suitcase as it can to pick a vacation. You have to have one that not only holds everything you need to take with you, but it also has to be as portable as you would like, preferably lightweight, and durable.
The main options are as follows, based on the type of trip you typically take:
- Duffel Bag – These are typically lightweight with large amounts of un-determined space inside. They are great for trips that might include ski or scuba gear, or if you just want to stuff everything in and go. The outer layer is usually soft and flexible so the bag itself can fit almost anywhere depending on how full it is.
- Wheeled Duffel – These have most of the same advantages as the traditional duffel bag but are easier to transport since they are wheeled. Keep in mind that the structure that adds the wheels will also remove the flexibility of the outer shell.
- Wheeled Suitcase – This is the most common type of luggage and there are thousands of options depending on the size you are looking for as well as how much additional ‘organization’ you prefer.
- Backpack – These can have a lot of the advantages of a duffel (flexible and stuff-able) but are much easier to transport. Some of them will also include a frame system for structure but that can add bulk and weight.
- Wheeled Backpack – This one it relatively self-explanatory and combines the convenience of being able to roll the bag as well as the ability to carry it on your back.
Take a good hard look at the trips you usually plan, and choose your luggage according to your needs.