It does sound crazy, but two of the latest hair care trends are “no-poo” and “co-wash”. These trends translate into “no shampoo” and “conditioner wash” basically.
No-poo – It isn’t as daunting as it sounds.
- Many are choosing this method because (a) it can save a significant amount of money, depending on what brands you are using and (b) you will significantly reduce the number of chemicals you are exposing yourself to.
- There are two main methods that people are using, water only and baking soda plus apple cider vinegar (also referred to as ACV).
- The water only method is just that, still going through the motions of shampooing but using only water and massage.
- The baking soda and apple cider vinegar method is a little more involved but no more so than the shampoo and conditioner cycle. Dissolve about a tablespoon of baking soda in a cup of water and massage it in as you would with shampoo, then rinse. If you tend to have a dry scalp, an ACV solution will help cleanse and moisturize your hair.
Co-wash – This one seems a little more realistic.
- You will basically be ‘shampooing’ your hair with conditioner.
- After completely saturating your hair, apply a generous amount of your chosen conditioner. Massage this into your hair and scalp as you would with shampoo. At the end of your shower, rinse and then style as normal.
- With this method, you may find that you need a clarifying shampoo every two to four weeks, depending on your hair and scalp.
Just be forewarned, if you are interested in trying one of these methods, there is an adjustment period as your hair learns how to behave without that constant cycle chemicals! But it will feel worse than it looks.